Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Your Best Friend Should Be...

One of your best friends should be the YA librarian or the book seller at your favorite bookstore. If you are an English teacher, you love books and you love the impact that good literature has on your students. You have probably experienced the joy of watching a resistant reader become a book lover just because you placed the perfect book in his/her hands. I saw this happen thrice in my student teaching.

Your best friend/librarian/bookseller can keep you posted of the lastest and greatest and this week I was blessed with an unexpected perk.

For years, I have been frequenting the same, small, non-chain bookstore. I have gotten to know the woman in charge of the children's book section and I have purchased several of her recommendations. When I told her that I was a school teacher to be, she took me to a behind-the-shelves place and gave me several reading discussion pamphlets for various books. I was so appreciative that she placed in my hands, two ARC's--Advanced reader's copies-books before publication. To me, these are coveted gifts bestowed upon people like Chris Crowe (in his office one day, I couldn't help but notice a brand new box of fresh and free books).

No comments:

Post a Comment