Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Grammar question

I can't even figure out how to look this one up, so of course I turn to your fabulous brains for help.

My husband just wrote the following sentence in a formal email:

"I've attached my resume in case either you or he needs a copy for reference."

Should that word in Italics be "needs" or "need?" (And did I put that question mark in the right place?) In other words, does a verb after nouns/pronouns joined by "or" agree with the first or second noun(/pronoun)?

I wait with baited breath on your brilliant responses. :) Thanks all, and hope you're having a great semester!

3 comments:

  1. I would have avoided the conundrum by writing: ..."in case a reference copy is needed," or "if either of you need a copy for reference."

    These little things mess me up too. Sorry I didn't solve the grammar directly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except "if either of you need a copy" is actually incorrect. It should be "needs" because of the prepositional phrase. Why is English so crazy?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it incorrect also because "either" is considered singular?- or just because of the pp.

    ReplyDelete